We made a list of 10 things you should know when looking at the championship race. We compared the top four drivers in points and came up with these interesting facts. The top four drivers are Sam Hubinette, Tanner Foust, Daijiro Yoshihara, and Rhys Millen.
1. Rhys Millen and Sam Hubinette are the two drivers that have a win at Sonoma out of the four championship prospects.
2. Tanner Foust has the highest qualifying score of all between the four drivers. He scored a 100.0 (only perfect score in Formula D history) at this very track.
3.Daijiro Yoshihara has typically been a second half season driver with 2 of his 3 wins coming during the last two events of the year.
4.Sonoma is one of the most balanced tracks on the circuit for victories. 2 domestics and 2 imports have both taken home victory in years past here not weighting in any advantage to either side for this weekend.
5.However the only two imports to take home victory here have been Chris Forsberg’s Z and Calvin Wan’s G35 so it does appear that Tanner Foust’s chassis has some favor at the track.
6. The Pontiac GTO currently driven by Daijiro Yoshihara is the only car in competition this weekend that has won the event out of the top four in points. Although when the car took home first place it was piloted by Rhys Millen who is currently in the points chase in 4th.
7. On paper Rhys Millen has the biggest advantage for the 2008 Championship. He is the only driver who has won at Sonoma and Irwindale out of these four drivers. On a side note the fifth place driver Chris Forsberg has also won Sonoma in 2007 and Irwindale in 2005. (Thanks Tony Angelo)
8.To secure the championship you MUST not DNF at either of these events and finish high in the points. Rhys Millen currently is the only driver out of the four who has DNF’d an event in 2007 which happened at Formula D Long Beach.
9.If you wanted to compare victories at the beginning of this season Sam Hubinette’s total (9) would beat Tanner Foust, Rhys Millen, and Daijiro’s combined total of 8.
10. Every event ever held in September in Formula D has been won by one of these four drivers.
With all that being said, this weekend should be VERY INTERESTING! See you guys at Sonoma.