10 Things I Learned from Formula Drift Canada

fredricaasbo-corollaim

10. Fredric Aasbo Locks in the 3peat
Fredric Aasbo is now 15-0 at Autodrome St. DeSmash which is a pretty insane record for anyone at any track. He has taken on all comers and is now the most winning Formula Drift driver in history with 10 passing Sam Hubinette and Vaughn Gittin who both have 9 victories. His insane record at this track is a big part of that with 3o% of his career wins. Could he 4peat next year?
marclanderville

9. Give Marc Landerville Some Budget so he can run a full season

Marc Landerville really entertains me on the track and I wish his sponsors would pony him up for a real program run. Maybe FD can look at least letting him run Jersey and some other close events? We know the space is available in Top 32. His run with Aasbo was awesome and I agree with Andy Yen who wanted the OMT on that battle. Keep up the hard work Marc and figure out how to do more FD events in 2018.

alexheilbrunn

8. Alex Heilbrunn Cannot be Bothered to Show Up in Canada

I think most people are considering Alex Heilbrunn a serious player in the Formula Drift grid. His lack of presence in Montreal watched him fall from probably about 10th place into 13th place. He was by far the highest rank driver with a notable absence at this event. Alex is going to really need to look at Canada in 2018 if he wants to be that serious championship contender people believe he can be. Nobody is winning Formula Drift with a no show in their points record.

chelseadenofa

6. Chelsea DeNofa Screwed in Qualifying
If you watched Chelsea DeNofa’s second qualifying run it was exactly everything you want in a drift run. Big angle, insane throttle commitment, dirt drop and a wall tap. The excitement level couldn’t be much higher than that. The judges were so stoked on his run they gave him a (7/8/9) in style respectively. Really love to know where those 5 points went missing? Either way, it was one of the best qualifying runs I watched this year. Qualifying still just needs a complete reboot like I complained about earlier this year but at least DeNofa gave everyone 45 seconds of excitement.

michaelessa-wheelman

5. Michael Essa One Tire Drift
The battle starts here in The Top 32 and just watch in awe as Michael Essa makes more smoke with one rear tire than almost every Pro 2car in history. The driving ability and talent to make the rest of the course with one tire and one wheel was pretty impressive as well. I even want to throw in props to Nate Hamilton for a great follow run considering those circumstances.

justinpawlak-vaughngittinjr

4. Justin Pawlak Finally Figured Out How Not to Hit Vaughn Gittin Jr.
This Mustang rivalry has boiled over to a true dislike I feel between these two drivers. An encounter at Road Atlanta between these guys resulted in Vaughn being fined $1,500 and 16 championship points. If you look back at their runs, basically Justin Pawlak just ran into Vaughn every chance he had. Orlando Speed World in competition and then again during early practice at Road Atlanta. Somehow through magic, Justin Pawlak completed a tandem battle with Vaughn Gittin Jr. without running into him. Let’s give him a round of applause.

mattfield-accident

3. Matt Field Had A Day from Hell
Matt Field starts off his main event weekend by getting punted by Dean Kearney right into the wall. Accidents in motorsports tend to be the most dangerous when someone turns right into a wall like Matt Field did in this battle. You can make a huge case for HANS device playing a huge part in Matt Field not being injured here if you look at the replays and the limit of his head travel when making impact on the wall. Then the tow truck driver dumped his car off the flat bed tow truck twice. He magically got back on course even with his broken driveshaft/supercharger/suspension they fixed along with who knows what else. Matt was in better spirits on his Instagram story than I would of been under these circumstances.

jamesdeane-nj

2. Europeans Account for Top 3 in Championship
The flag pole of the sad state of drifting in America might just be the Formula Drift championship bracket. Michael Essa is currently the highest placed American and is a stunning 109 points behind James Deane. The Europeans are really just dominating Formula Drift this season. Deane, Aasbo, and Bluss are proving to be a level above the rest of the competition this season.

ryansage
1. Please Keep Ryan Sage and Jarod DeAnda to Livestream Only
I made this comment last year at Montreal and it still holds true after this weekend. Having a live announcer separate from the Livestream increases the at home experience of watching the event 10000x. I hate nothing more than Jarod DeAnda asking me to stand up for the wave while I sit in a dark corner of my apartment drinking water in my underwear. Just find a good to yell random words for live commentary. It won’t happen anytime soon I imagine so don’t get your hopes up and just count on Formula Drift going to more non English speaking cities.

I attended my first drift event at Road Atlanta in 2005 while shooting for Import Racer Magazine (RIP). Since then I have produced drift content for PAS Magazine, Modified Magazine, Drifting Magazine (RIP), and many more publications. I was the producer of the movie Slide America and then helped found this website in 2007.

1. Eddi Hughes says:

I’m always down to do the wave, the cat’s dont appreciate it. They look terrorized, with eye’s wide open bleak stare of confusion

2. Edrick Reyes says:

If you look at the replay of Matt getting hit by Kearney you can see Matt’s head jerk harshly forward, and if it wasn’t for the HANS device he could’ve been seriously injured. I also agree with #1, I did enjoy the livestream better with Jarod just announcing to the livestreamers and not to the venue.

3. Driftmama says:

PLEASE bring back Jacob for LiveStream. He was SO good! Guests as well.

4. Tie fighter says:

SHAME on Wrecked for just ASSUMING that Alex couldn’t “be bothered” to come to Canada. there was a family emergency that he was taking care of.
    Maybe instead of just making shit up you can actually look into it and ask some questions instead of just assuming that Alex is blowing off an event.

5. is300 says:

lets just skip an event and not cover anything like it didnt even happen. i guess FDNJ only happened in my mind.

6. driftingz33 says:

4. An “encounter” at Road Atlanta between these guys resulted in Vaughn being fined $1,500 and 16 championship points……Gittin, this ain’t the WWE…..stop kicking other drivers cars and being a disrespectful competitor. JTP hit your car…..so what?….you do the same to many drivers. I wonder how those fines and points are determined?

7. Hosford Hugger says:

does anything good ever come from NJ? cant pump your own gas, cant make a left turn, cant finish before the sun sets

8. Justin Yamashiro says:

NJ was just a myth.
    So they talked about the potential points battle coming down to Aasbø and Deane if everything keeps going the way it is. Anyone go thoughts? Is too soon to tell? Is there potential for Deane to win the championship prior to Irwindale. Just random thinking.

All of Aasbo’s favorite tracks are coming up so I say its gonna be a battle at irwindale.

10. WingZeroCustom says:

Well Aasbo’s luck at Seattle and Texas have booth been up and down. So who know’s.. lets not forget Bluss is a wild Card right now. He gets a win or say Dean gets knocked out early by a hard hitting competitor and it can really bring those top 5 to top 7 back into it if they have good days.

11. Jabroni says:

I think joey was in another country during NJ hence the lack of coverage. Also its a professional motorsport, don’t want people to make assumptions, then make a public statement as to why you wont be present. its real quick takes 3 minutes on social media. Imagine if John force missed a event in NHRA with no explanation, the speculations would be crazy and you owe to your fans who showed up excited to see you drive. but know he had a family emergency best wishes and good vibes to him and his family <3 <3 <3.

12. Justin Yamashiro says:

I think a point I’d bring across as a #11 is in regards to Robbie Nishida.
    For being in a new car he really got to understand it this past weekend. It was a lot of seat time and hopefully provided the information needed for any potential changes moving forward this season.

Nishida is also on the ATR Sports not the 123s. Probably the weakest tire in competition.

14. Is300 says:

@blaze1 why is he on those tires?

15. WingZeroCustom says:

ATR Sports is the grippier of the 2 I would suppose.

Na… He’s running 20s or 21s and Achilles does not not the 123s in that size at the moment. Which is odd seeing Daigo was running 20s or 21s on his GTR as well.

17. isho says:

I still dont understand why they didnt allow Gushi to fix his car till his next battle in top 8? Instead of giving him a small amount of time to fix his car, why not allow him to work on it untill he had to go to the starting line in top 8?

18. KPA says:

The ATR and 123 compounds are the same. Been like that for awhile only tread pattern is different.

It is a bummer to be knocked out of comp by the other drivers mistake. At least Ken didn’t loose another motor. First time since late last year. Glad to see those guys figure it out.

While JTP didn’t hit Vaughn. Castro did this round and Dean in his Viper back in NJ did. Might not be a JTP issue and more a Vaughn driving issue.

Forsberg continued to look like shit in his VQ powered car. Not sure whats worse, his drop from competitiveness or the sound of the car. Hope his fiqures it out before the end on the year.

19. Justin Yamashiro says:

In case anyone didn’t know and/or cares, OMGDrift is back up so maybe we’ll see something out of it.

20. is300 says:

OMGDrift is back from what ?

21. Justin Yamashiro says:

Drew killed OMG for a while to create something else.

22. Alec Hall says:

Bro where did “10 things… from FD NJ” go?

23. Justin Yamashiro says:

As I always say, it’s cool. We’re 3 days past FD:SEA and surprise surprise nothing is posted. Apparently we care for Canada more than anything.
    Other news, FD and IDC/BDC have grouped together to allow drivers who finish the year 2nd-8th to be offered pro 2 licenses.

24. Is300 says:

That would be nice, if pro 2 wasnt a waste of money.

Rather give the top 3 Pro1 licenses. No one in their right mind would want to run Pro2. We need more Pro1 drivers anyway.

26. Is300 says:

At least the top 5. I don’t see how fd thinks they are above the other 2 championships. Like they are division 1 of drifting and the rest are below, so they made pro 2 as like try outs to get more money so they can see if you have what it takes for you to be with the ” best drivers in the world”