FIA International Drifting Cup in Japan Announced

Posted on Jun 21, 2017 In D1GP Formula D International

The FIA has finally unveiled it’s plan for the first intercontinental drifting cup in Japan. We followed some of this event progress earlier this year but they now have an official time/place for this big event. FIA President, Jean Todt, said, “This is the beginning of a very important category for the FIA. As we continue to develop motor sport around the world, drifting has a great appeal to young people and has a passionate core following which is only going to get bigger.” More information about competitors and information will be available soon. I doubt many Formula Drift drivers will be competing with this falling one week before Irwindale Speedway.

Competition Name:FIA Intercontinental Drifting Cup
Date: 30 September – 1 October 2017
Place: Daiba, Tokyo
Governing body: FIA
Promotor: SUNPROS (D1 Grandprix Promotor)

1. Hosford Hugger says:

seems kinda late to be announcing this

2. Eddi Hughes says:

I hope there’s good coverage of this for us Engrish speaking folks.

3. is300 says:

and this for real ? you give us this. but no coverage of anything thats actually relevant to US drifting.

4. Brandon says:

Really excited to see how this goes. But still nothing from FDNJ????

Hey I’m excited by this. All the top FD guys have spare comp cars or a overseas hookup. Convincing the sponsors to finance this is a different story though. Congrats D1 and make it count! And if the FIA is reading this, make this event in Las Vegas next year please!

6. Slider S15 says:

I can see the positives and negatives for this.

On the plus side the potential for a unified rule book on Car Builds would make it easier for drivers to compete in different series without having to build a whole new car or make modifications, thus potentially reducing costs for some drivers.

Also unified judging criteria and competition format would help the sport to be more understandable to the casual viewer as well.

On the downside I can see why people would be afraid FIA involvement could threaten the diversity and personal style reflected within the cars and builds through “Over Regulation” of the sport.

Also a unified judging criteria and competition format is only good if done correctly. For example Formula Drift this year really shouldn’t be run as a Top 32 Format since it hasn’t had 32 drivers at any one event. IDC and BDC use their Top 24 format to great effect and that is now also being used by D1NZ. BUT Top 32 does still work well in D1.

In other words, I think the unification of the sport that could come from the FIA involvement is the real plus point from all of this, BUT could also be its downside if done poorly.

As for the event itself, It’s sounding more like a D1 Exhibition Event (much like the Irwindale Events in the mid 2000’s.) Rather than the new international comp we all want it to be (To be honest, I was more hoping for something like the Red Bull Drifting World Championship).

7. Yoshi says:

“Kay-chee Tsuchiya”

“To be honest, I was more hoping for something like the Red Bull Drifting World Championship”

I don’t see why it couldn’t be. The main difference between the two was D1 was letting anyone who could make the trip come out to compete and FD was inviting certain top drivers to show up. FD was superior for that reason, and they had a special venue. But both events in my opinion were entertaining.

I say the FIA needs to fork over some cash to ship these international teams out. And probably implement a lenient technical regulations for this to be successful.

9. Doof says:

@Slider S15

You want it to be more like the RedBull sponsored event in 2008 where the 1st and 2nd place cars just happened to be sponsored by RedBull? No thanks.

10. Slider S15 says:

@Doof: Haha well I never said it was perfect! it just seemed like a better international event with a better mix of international drivers.

@Blaze1: I hope it is more like the RedBull World Championship at least in the mix of international drivers in attendance. I may be wrong (hell it was a while ago now) but I believe RedBull helped to ship cars out for that which helped. FIA definitely needs to do the same to make a real go of this.

11. is300 says:

yep came back to maybe something new, but still disappointed.

12. Justin Yamashiro says:

@ is300
    I do it every day and still realized I don’t know why I’m returning.
    Any news I’ve come across is that Global Warfare at Mondello Park for the IDC series still had an all Irish podium holding its reign.

It’s amazing, we’re going into the week of Canada and there’s nothing coming up.

13. is300 says:

@Justin Yamashiro

If i had the means to make my own website i would, i was even thinking about a Facebook group/ page or a subreddit to gather news. Bc drifting news is so scarce other than social media and partnerships.

14. Yoshi says:

Wrecked used to be great for drifting news. I run like 5 websites and making good content is hard. I’d start a drift news site if I knew I could get good news and quickly/accurately.

15. Justin Yamashiro says:

@ Yoshi
    I’d be willing to help if you wanted to create something new. I’m sure I’ve got enough contacts throughout the world to attempt content. Media might be short for a moment but would be cool to create something in the end.

16. Brandon says:

I keep coming back expecting something new….but nope….still nothing from NJ. Pretty much coming back for the comments

17. Yoshi says:

Yea I’d be willing to look into things. Justin, if you or anyone has insider links/what not email me your ideas. protomor at gmail.

18. KPA says:

someone ask Joey if wrecked can be bought before its worth NOTHING…

19. Justin Yamashiro says:

@ KPA
    We could see if Maximum Driftcast can bring him back on the show.
    The domain name doesn’t expire until 7/10/18 so there’s basically a year of the website probably being dormant until it expires and then who knows what happens.

20. Cody says:

Well wrecked is clearly dead/dying, so if you guys are interested Maximum Driftcast created a Facebook group page to talk about drifting. Here is the link – https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaximumDriftcast/