2016 Lonestar Drift ProAm Round 1 [RESULTS]

Posted on Mar 30, 2016 In Formula D Pro Am Formula Drift Pro 2 RESULTS

JoshMcGuire-LonestarDriftRd1

Lonestar Drift held their first round of ProAm a few weeks back at Gulf Greyhound Park, which featured a complete elimination of qualifying. The event went over well with the drivers, who were slotted into ‘divisions’ and tandem battled from the start. In the end, some familiar names finished on the podium as Josh McGuire took home the win in his Enjuku Racing S14. McGuire already has his Pro 2 license, and likely used this event as a tune-up for the Pro 2 season which starts in Atlanta in May.

Here’s a look at the full podium results:

1st – Josh McGuire
2nd – Jeff Kurtz
3rd – Chris Tyrone
4th – Randall Waters

Jacob Leveton

Freelance Drift Correspondent at JacobPhoto
Jacob Leveton has worked as a freelance journalist for 12 years, specializing in drifting since the first professional competition landed on US shores in 2003. Leveton has worked with more than twenty print and online media outlets to provide unique drifting content.

1. Turbology says:

Glad to hear the drivers liked the new format, always cool to see something different that actually works.

Do you happen to know if the guys who already have their Pro 2 license are still awarded seasonal points?

Kind of lame for dudes on the come up if the guys who already got their credentials can take podium points away from them.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d be glad for the stronger competition as a driver, but it would be super beat if I missed 1-3 at the end of the year because of a ‘ringer’.

2. Miguel says:

Wonder if justdrift would change to this format.

3. NUTTERBUTTER says:

Im in love with the new format and to hear it went over well with everyone, shit that makes me want to pack up and head to the next round my self to get a slice of the action.

job well done!

4. Jabroni says:

why is that lame Chelsea Dan Savage Mike Pollard etc all continued to compete in pro-am after earning pro- pro2 licenses driving pro caliber cars. its not like they were unbeatable. they were taking anything away from up and comers but they weren’t handing out free candy and trophies either. I think its a good thing because you get to see where your car and driving needs to be to be considered a contender at the next level.

5. NUTTERBUTTER says:

jabroni i had to read you post twice, didn’t make much sense with the lack of punctuation. But i get it now. Your right and if i were running pro am i would be stoked on the chance to line up next to a pro level guy while running pro am. That is some valuable experiences right there and it will help to understand your level of driving and your machines level, also how to handle your nerves against a high level of driver.

I say let em drive not like there going to make every round of pro am.

6. apieceobacon says:

From what I know, Josh just used this event as a test and development day to make sure the car functions properly for FD this year. Chris Tyrone earned his license last year but he got 3rd in this event and I dont think he has intentions of competing in pro 2 this year. I’m mostly surprised that people haven’t brought up the fact that Jeff Kurtz managed to drive a Honda s2000 to second place.

7. Doof says:

@3:00 minutes

When you’re trying to be like dpomps, but are not even remotely close.

8. Turbology says:

To be clear, I’m not at all against Pro 2 licensed drivers competing in Pro-Ams. I am more questioning whether or not they should receive Pro-Am championship points if they already have their respective FD Pro 2 license.

I agree that driving with and against better drivers is the best way to improve. I’m just saying that if I was an aspiring Pro-Am guy, and 1st-3rd place came down to the wire at the end of the season, I would not be pleased if it was due to a Pro 2 licensed driver.

9. Jabroni says:

Sorry most of my post are made while at work when I get a few free seconds lol. But I think the points should count also for the guys who have licenses and are in pro 2 already. Like I said they aren’t unbeatable, and beating them out for points truely shows your ready to advance. If your discouraged by them accumulating points and blocking your advancement….. You are in for a rude awakening at the next level.

10. Turbology says:

@Jabroni I definitely agree that stronger competition makes everyone a better driver, I’m just thinking long-term for steadily moving drivers up the ladder.

Given the unfortunately low number of Pro drivers on the grid this season, I would not want to see it decrease even more in the coming years.

I am not saying it should be ‘easier’ to become a Pro driver, just that they should keep the progression steady and healthy.

11. NUTTERBUTTER says:

turbo dude, the progression from pro2 to pro is as it should be. there are a few dudes that moved up like andrew gray and dude in the bmw whos name escapes me at the moment, but thats good they proved there worth and are moving on. also evident is the over abundance of pro 2 drivers being fed into the series that most likely shouldnt be there. if they had the chance to hammer down a a few pro 2 guys in the pro am level it would raise there abilities as stated so many times above.

were digressing, fact of the matter is the new format to me sounds like a success and texas is once again king of making all manner of things bigger and better.

that is all

ps fd take note, we need a better show and this sounds like a plausible solution

12. apieceobacon says:

Also if FD decided to use this as a new format they could make pro 2 apart of the pro 1.

Just to help elaborate this idea:
    Division 7 goes against 6 in the same way as explained before, then 6 and 5 do a top 16 bracket through to the winners and there’s your PRO 2 podium. the top 8 from that bracket goes against division 4 and so on so forth until division 2 goes against 1 in their top 16 to decide the PRO 1 podium.

This seems like it would work in my head but its just a thought. I just think that if they adopt this format then there’s not really any reason to have two completely separate blocks.

13. Turbology says:

All good Mr. Nabisco, just exercising our national right to constructive public discourse as our powdered-wig wearing, quill-and-ink toting forefathers intended.

I’m in favor of this format change for what it’s worth. Have a good weekend dudes!

14. Nelson_CCM says:

I think it makes sense that the points count even if the driver has a pro-2 license. Not everyone wants to move up to FD/nor do they have the funds for FD. There as been plenty of years where someone places in the top 3 of the series with an entry-level drift build. Yes, Pro-Am is a feeder series to FD, but considering if you are from Texas (or anywhere else with a Pro-Am) and you just want to compete for fun so why not use that series as your weekend warrior fun.

15. Jeff Kurtz says:

Hey i made it on wrecked kinda.