Scion Wins Championship and Goes Out of Business

Posted on Feb 3, 2016 In Formula D Fredric Aasbo Ken Gushi Scion

Aasbo-Texas-2015

I was just told the news tonight that Scion (under Toyota) in America has closed its doors for the last time. The struggling “youth” brand failed to really deliver a car the consumers wanted and after 13 years it has left the market. This hits home in Formula Drift in a big way as the championship team was a factory backed Scion program. Drivers such as Ken Gushi and Fredric Aasbo could find a big hit to the budget coming into 2017.

KenGushi.RyanTuerck

Scion will be remembered for brilliant marketing strategies much more than its subpar car offering. The 2015 season brought 56,167 total car sales in for the whole brand. Without the Scion FR-S under its umbrella – I imagine the brand would be in much worse shape numbers wise. If Toyota wants to continue marketing inside Formula Drift I suggest they should look more towards how Ford has pushed into the market.

Source: CarBuzzard

1. Mike says:

Interested to see what will happen to those scion backed programs.
    Lowest selling model according to this press release, unfortunately.

2. Mike says:

Oops, 3rd lowest**
    Not including the iA, iM which are new models.

3. WingZeroCustom says:

Well danm… that freaking.. sucks… 🙁 I was looking to by a FR-S too.

4. Yoshi says:

I doubt cars like the FRS and what not will die. They’ll just get put under lexus or the main toyota branch. I hope the TC dies though.

5. Jabroni says:

the FRS didn’t didn’t sell well at all they aren’t keeping it around, you think they did just because you notice them when you see them but the numbers were terrible….the driveline package in that car with the a high price and poor fit and finish quality killed it.

6. apieceobacon says:

Good, it was a retarded excuse for a rebrand anyways and the subaru brz put scion in a bind by producing a much better version for only slightly higher. Just because it was a “youth brand” intended to produce “inexpensive yet fun vehicles” doesn’t give them an excuse to seemingly intentionally put lower quality vehicles out for people to buy. Also since when has the Frs been updated other than a new paint or exhaust? I know they built the car with the intention of the customer to make it their own but we all would have liked more than six small options that decide the base model and the 2.0-supersweg-TRD-hashtag edition FRS in fuckboy yellow.

7. apieceobacon says:

Btw fredric Aasbo is probably going to drive a lexus LC500 in 2017.

8. Ant says:

Scion is transitioning into Toyota. They’re keeping the MY17, FRS,iM, and iA. They’re gonna discontine the tC after one final release this yr.

9. Twitch_6 says:

Aasbo did say last year, on SpeedHunters I believe, that “big changes are coming for 2017”, or something along those lines.

Can’t say I’m suprised by Scion closing. I never understood the youth concept. Youth don’t have money, and those who do buy Bimmers and Benzes, or even Lexus; but not Scion lol.

I hope Aasbo and Gushi get taken care of. I was looking forward to seeing Gushi after his strong 2015.

10. NUTTERBUTTER says:

TOYOTA IS CONSUMING THE TEST PROJECT THAT IS SCION. IT WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE A LIFE TIME BRAND BUT ONLY A TEST SUBJECT FOR NEW VENTURES FOR TOYOTA

HER IS THE PRESS RELEASE FOR JIM LENTZ http://PRESSROOM.TOYOTA.COM/RELEASES/SCION+TRANSITION+TOYOTA.HTM

11. Eddi Hughes says:

Wonder what would happen if the FRS went under the Lexus brand… 3JZ No shit?

12. NUTTERBUTTER says:

EDDIE IN 3 YEARS THERE WILL SIMPLY NOT BE AN FRS. ONCE THE NEW SUPRA OR FT1 IS RELEASED IT WILL DISCONTINUE THE FRS TO BE RE BRANDED AND BE A 100% TOYOTA PRODUCT RATHER THAN A TOYOTA SUBARU JOINT VENTURE, EQUALLY THEY HAVE SIGNED A MASSIVE DEAL WITH MAZDA SO BE PREPARED FOR SOME INTERESTING COLLABORATIONS IN THAT DEPARTMENT

13. Brandon says:

I want to know what will happen with Aasbo and Gushi since they were backed by scion

14. KPA says:

Scion marketing has been all over the place with some reach to motorsports and then a big push for “lifestyle” not really ever defining what the really what as a brand. Then the confusion of the BRZ and split of the sales across two companies, sounds like a headache. I hope Gushi finds away to continue with his FRS program it was shaping up to be one of the best.

On another note that picture of tuerck’s car going straight into his door! WTF! Someone going to need some A1 Steak Sauce for that T-bone.

15. apieceobacon says:

Scion is merging with toyota, the TC is the only vehicle getting cut after this model year so far. I’m assuming the drivers and team under Scion Racing will just be integrated into Toyota Racing Division. At least we wont have to have the confusion of whether or not a scion frs with a 2jz should be in the manufacturers championship anymore.

16. OGLarry says:

Not sure why people keep saying the FRS may be sold with the luxury brand. Lexus isn’t about the sporty economy car life. lol They’ll just call it an AE86 here too. Like the Pontiac G8 = Chevy SS. The cars in the series should at least be available with a powertrain layout that a fan can actually buy in the showroom of the country the series is based.

17. Curtis says:

They will just sell the FRS under the Toyota Brand like they already do overseas. It’s a Toyota GT86 which is on the same level as the Subaru BRZ version

18. Twitch_6 says:

Now the question is, who’s going to be the first to build a new Toyota SF-R for Formula D. That would look hilarious tandeming beside a Mustang lol.

19. NUTTERBUTTER says:

TWITCH A SCION S-FR IS SIMPLY A RE BAGGED MAZDA MX5 JUST SO YOU KNOW. MAYBE DANNY GEORGE WILL COME BACK WITH SOME HOT DILDO SWINGING FIRE

20. Hosford Hugger says:

This is clearly FD’s fault. If they paid better for the championship then Scion would have stayed in business.

21. Twitch_6 says:

@NUTTERBUTTER, I wasn’t aware that the S-FR and MX5 were the same? I haven’t looked into the S-FR that much, so I don’t know much about it.

A quick Google search and I found this though

It’s said to seat four. But that’s got to be a bit of a squeeze as the S-FR is just 3990mm long, 1695mm wide and 1320mm high, with a 2480mm wheelbase. For comparison, the MX-5 is 3915mm by 1735mm, 1225mm tall and has a 2310mm wheelbase. (Taken from http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-events/tokyo/2015/toyota-s-fr-concept-to-rival-mx-5-at-tokyo-2015/ )

I’m not denying your claim, but the demensions of the car seem different enough that I would find it tough to see them being the same platform. I’m looking at the wheelbase specifically, as the other numbers are just bodywork. It’s too bad they don’t list a track width as well. I also have no idea how accurate these numbers are.

22. OGLarry says:

There is nothing similar between the MX5 and FRS. Different suspension designs, dimensions, the engines obviously and a 500lb+ weight difference.

23. apieceobacon says:

@OGLarry
    They’re talking about the S-FR that was released as a concept not too long ago, not the FR-S that we’ve all loved to hate for the last few years. The Miata and S-FR are surprisingly similar once you look at it but like Twitch said, the wheelbase seems a little off. If they make it to production it would be interesting to see the real differences.

24. OGLarry says:

@apieceobacon
    Thanks for clearing that up. I vaguely remember that concepts from a few months ago now. It did seem very Miata-ish.