Formula Drift World Championship Cancels Last Round in China

Aasbo-Texas-2015

I have been pretty vocal on how I think the validity of the Formula Drift “World Championship” was kind of a joke or a really low starting point (I get you have to start somewhere) for the premiere drift series in the world. After ignoring Europe and only visiting Canada, Japan, and China it seemed like the World Championship was a lack luster award to pursue. Now due to circumstances out of Formula Drift’s control, China has been canceled.

I did confirm with Ryan Sage that the Formula Drift World Championship final round will now be Irwindale Speedway. It is most likely the World Championship Award Ceremony will also be held there. Looks like Fredric Aasbo can easily take a double championship next weekend. This sure makes the new course layout and the pressure for him to qualify step up a level or two.

Here is the series PR regarding the matter –

Long Beach, Calif. – September 29, 2015 – Formula DRIFT announced today the cancellation of the final round of the World Championship that was originally scheduled for December 2015 in southern China.

The Formula DRIFT team has been working very hard to make this event a new and exciting part of our Series, but unfortunately Irena World and Goldenport Enterprises did not meet their contractual obligations. Our ability to operate events depends on the mutual effort of our partners and without that, we cannot put our sponsors, teams and employees at any unwarranted risk.

Due to the cancellation, Round 7 at Irwindale Speedway will be the final round of the World Championship and will be worth double points for the World Championship contenders. We will also still honor our World Championship prize purse.

I attended my first drift event at Road Atlanta in 2005 while shooting for Import Racer Magazine (RIP). Since then I have produced drift content for PAS Magazine, Modified Magazine, Drifting Magazine (RIP), and many more publications. I was the producer of the movie Slide America and then helped found this website in 2007.

I knew this was going to happen. It’s rough doing legit business out there. FD should should hold a South America round or try to go back to Abu Dhabi.

2. apieceobacon says:

Or they could go, oh I don’t know, maybe EUROPE!?!? Seriously though Europe has a massive market for drifting events and FD isn’t trying to organize events there? It would be far easier to organize an event there than in china. Because either their event organizer had his head pretty far up his butt or China is a very hard venue to organize. Regardless this should have been announced back in July.

3. apieceobacon says:

After reading this a second time Irena sucks but I still stand by the fact that they should have gone to Europe before going to China.

4. Jaz SWE says:

Haha yeah a “World Championship” without a round in Europe is pretty stupid.. Maybe next year?!!?!?!

5. Samurai Sam says:

How come I can’t find Irena on their website? http://www.goldenport.com.cn/en/team.php?id=15

Is that just the fictitious name they blamed to get FD to go away? Can’t wait until they launch their own Formule Drift World Championship, in true Chinese fashion!

6. Mark Lytle says:

Places that Formula Drift could have events:

South America
    Australia
    Europe
    Russia

You can could go online and search “drift” and see all kinds of drift leagues around the world that would probably love to host a Formula D

7. Hosford Hugger says:

Remember when Formula D formed a partnership with a company in France?

Or when they announced a one-off event at Silverstone with EA / Need for Speed?

Neither does anybody else…

8. KPA says:

FD is far from world caliber.

9. apieceobacon says:

I feel like they’re trying to expand too much too quickly. They put on some pretty good events but the sport seems too new to be trying to make a full world championship yet.