Achilles Tires Going Big in Formula Drift 2012 with Three Car Team

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 In Daigo Saito Formula D Robbie Nishida

This mystery tire company that is sponsoring Bridges Racing turns out to be Achilles Tire. The Bridges Racing program is jumping up into a three car program with Daigo Saito, Robbie Nishida, and Armando “Dio.” We have already reported that Robbie Nishida is building a Lexus SC300 and we have word that Daigo Saito is currently building a Lexus SC430 in Japan for his 2012 ride. This is a change from an earlier report that he was driving the APEX’i Lexus SC430. We imagine that Dio will be in the 2009 Championship Chassis Nissan 350z he ran for a few events last year.

A quick verification of the latest 2012 rulebook shows  that the Achille ATR Sport and 123S tires are both approved tires under Appendix C in Section 2. It sounds like they will be the only three on this tire for 2012 but they are making quite a big push for the new season so no telling how things wind up!

1. lifer says:

This is great news! They sound like a great team of drivers with Bridges. Congrats on the new sponsorship! I have a feeling this will be the team to watch this year.

2. YOitzJDM says:

so much for Daigo being competitive… i was hoping they’d get hankooks

3. blaze1 says:

Where’s federal at?

4. cody says:

I think Matt Waldin is the only person running Federals. Kind of a waste to pay to be eligible in Formula D for one guy.

5. DA Fan 11 says:

Dean Kearney is running Federal as well in the SHR Dodge Viper.

Is he still in that car for 2012?

Are these Achilles that bad? We only saw one driver on them last year, I’m optimistic this might work out well.

7. hollywood says:

daigo won several rounds in fd asia on these tires and is verry familiar with how they work.

problem here is your putting to much emfasis on the tire and less on the driver and machine. a shit tire can be competitive with the right set up they just wont last as long. and since making smoke is not quite as big a judging criteria as it was in the past it really dose not matter.

best of luck to daigo and the bridges team in 2012 im sure they will do big things

8. drew says:

The 123 is designed for drifting, achilles is extremely into the drift culture and they’re spending a lot of time and money on making their name good in the scene. whittaker got 1st at world time attack on these, mad mike got first at couple rounds on these, pretty sure that kiki was running them too along with all those redbull asia drivers?

not to mention, tyres are only a small part of it. all comes down to driver in a battle. look forward to seeing daigo rip it up

9. cody says:

I forgot about the Viper.

10. jDUB says:

Diago + SC430 = no bueno:( I hope this was not his choice of vehicle. Oh well…Let’s hope he can build a descent one..Many have failed in this chassis..Yoshioka and Miki to name a few. Cross my fingers.

11. so many sad faces around here says:

that was daigo’s choice to run the sc430

12. lifer says:

Have Faith in the driver. Daigo Knows what he is doing.

Daigo makes the real money

14. jDUB says:

Yea your right….But I also had faith in Yoshioka and Miki. Like I said…Cross my fingers.

15. lifer says:

I know what you mean jDUB. I’m crossing mine too for the whole Bridges team. I have talked with the Bridges owner over the phone many times and he is a very cool guy.

16. jason says:

Daigo is building it himself, its going to be amazing, when have you seen a Toyota built by him that wasn’t a beast? Glad to see a new company in FD. I called this one a few weeks ago when it was rumored there would be a new tire company. It’s simple math ppl.

17. lifer says: