Formula Drift Coming to NBC Sports in 2012

Posted on Aug 4, 2011 In Formula D Video

January 2nd, 2012 the VERSUS network will be dissolved into NBC Sports. The change will go live in line with the NHL Winter Classic when the New York Rangers take on Philadelphia Flyers. The Super Bowl will also be branded with NBC Sports for 2012 since NBC acquired the air rights. We spoke about this being a possibility in the coming season but it now appears to be official according to AOL’s Sporting News.

Source: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2011-08-01/sbj-exit-versus-enter-the-nbc-sports-network

How long does FD have left on their contract with the network?

Rad news.

NBC Sports sounds way way way more legit than “Versus TV”, which sounded like something you’d see the world dodgeball championships on.

3. Mike Ma says:

whats wrong with the world dodgeball championships? =P

4. Justin B says:

I think Versus and NBC are under the same parent company, Comcast, so I don’t think contracts will be an issue. Will NBC broadcast events on a decent time or will this be a select midnight showing that only a few NBC stations will pick up?

5. marke says:

How is this Justin B… http://formulad.com/tv/

6. YOitzJDM says:

Versus was originally OLN aka ‘outdoor lifestyle network’…. it was all hunting and fishing shows. Over the last 5 years or so, this channel has really taken off and increased the value of their programming. It’s now in my regular rotation of channels to check – ESPN -> ESPN2 -> Speed -> Fox Sports regional -> Versus -> HD Net (which often has some cool car shows) -> BBC America (to check for top gear re-runs). Props to the management over there who took a channel that was lower than ‘the ocho’ and brought it up to an equal playing field (in my viewing order) as the fox regional sports channel. I think this change will further boost the channel, and I think that will greatly help FD.

“Comcast, so I don’t think contracts will be an issue.”

I wasn’t really referring to a issue with the contract due to the network changing their name. My question is how long is their contract with the network in the first place. FD hasn’t gone more then 2 seasons without changing networks. So with year two coming to a end who is to say they are coming back for a year 3 on versus/nbc sports.

8. YOitzJDM says:

isn’t this season 3 on Versus?

@yoitzjdm you are correct my mistake… I haven’t watch most of the TV coverage since 08.

05-06 G4
    07 ESPN2
    08 Speed
    09-11 Versus

But I’m still curious how long the deal is for. Its such a shame, I watch so much Versus but maybe only 2 or 3 FD episodes since it been on the network. At this point I see this as big news for UFC, Indy, TDF, NHL, NCCAF, and World Challenge. But when it comes to FD a production that has already been on 2 other major sports networks I’m not so convinced that this change will be as positive as its being portrayed right now.

10. FormulaD Ryan says:

@blaze1 “But when it comes to FD a production that has already been on 2 other major sports networks I’m not so convinced that this change will be as positive as its being portrayed right now.”

If it wasn’t a pessimistic lean, it wouldn’t be blaze.