D1 Grand Prix Announces SPEED TV Deal for US & Japan Rounds

Posted on Jun 9, 2010 In D1GP D1GP USA International Major Announcements

D1GP Logo

It appears the D1GP series is at it again trying to get on television in the United States. Before everyone goes out and gets excited let’s remember they promised the “Biggest Television Package” in drifting history (self-proclaimed by D1GP) with a FOX Affiliate deal that never aired a single episode. Pardon my skepticism just a little bit before changing my cable provider to get Speed HD. Not really sure why the scheduling is so inconsistent with days and real no information on times. I imagine with a Tivo box it is going to be hard to keep with the show due to the Saturday and Sunday rotation.  If the show does in fact air on SPEED channel here are the dates D1GP USA has issued for air dates with no times:

Saturday, Sep 4 – 6:30pm (Tokyo)
Sunday, Sep 12 – 6:00pm (Otia)
Saturday, Sep 18 – 6:00pm (Fuji)
Sunday, Sep 26 – 6:00pm (Okayama)
Sunday, Oct 3 – 6:00pm (Tokachi)
Saturday, Oct 9 – 5:00pm (Ebisu)
Sunday, Oct 17 – 6:00pm (Ebisu)
Saturday, Oct 23 – 5:00pm (Texas)
Sunday, Oct 31 – 2:00pm (Texas)
Saturday, Nov 7 – 4:00om (Atlanta)
Saturday, Nov 13 – 6:00pm (Fuji Exhibition)
Saturday, Nov 20 – 6:00pm (Miami)
Sunday, Dec 5 – 5:00pm (Fuji)
Sunday, Dec 5 – 6:0pm (Wrap-Up)
Sunday, Dec 12 – 6:00pm (Irwindale)

1. scott t says:

Real SpeedTV?

…or that Speed2 they (SpeedTV) announced a month or so ago?

2. Fireshake says:

LOL Funny skepto post here, I just found the press release online and it does have times for the show, also interesting is that this press release is from SPEED and not from D1 although it has a D1 contact on it too. So it seems SPEED is sending out the release and times too, they seem to be for real here. Here are the time off the SPEED press release doc:

Tokyo           Sat, Sep 4       6:30pm
    Atlanta         Sat, Nov 7       4pm
    Fuji Exhibition Sat, Nov 13      6pm
    Miami      Sat, Nov 20      6pm
    Fuji            Sun, Dec 5       5pm
    Wrapup          Sun, Dec 5       6pm
    Irwindale Sun, Dec 12      6pm

I’m looking forward to it :)

3. Wrecked Magazine says:

@Fireshake Can you provide a link to this information so I can verify it before posting on the site!

Thanks,
    Joey

4. DadeCounty305 says:

@Fireshake

Why is the “skepto” post so funny to you? They have thrown two series over two years with a promise of television and ZERO episodes. I think everyone has a right to place doubt in D1GP regardless of new management or a Press Release.

5. Fireshake says:

I talked to Mike Pollard he has been to Japan to compete all three rounds and is heading out again. He told me that the company filming him is a production company and not anyone from the out D1 folks. He said they are and have been there for each events filming and that he has seen the first episode on one of the guys iPad already. So, I think it’s funny because people seem to base things on past failings and not really researching the facts. What ever the case i love that D1 is doing events this year and the TV seems cool too. I know Sam Hubinette did two rounds too and he was a seated driver after round one, that’s a first for a none Japanese on Japanese soil! I think this is great and I am looking forward to the season, and the SPEED show.

6. VQ Power 11 says:

@Fireshake

How does anything you said prove a television deal is coming through? Someone with a camera shooting at events doesn’t verify much for anyone. They filmed all of last season yet no episode came out. If you don’t want people to base opinion on “past failings” then maybe you shouldn’t call the series D1GP. Because D1GP has let the fans down and filled them with lies for years and I don’t think anyone is going to forget that.

RESPECT is earned and not given.

When the show comes out on TV I will tip my hat, get excited, and tune in.

7. conspire says:

it’s not hard to get tv time on speed (or probably any other cable channel), you just have to be able to afford the air time.

8. what a joke says:

I love how every year its the same thing….announce something, Fill the internet with internal people making positive comments. Do 12 year old’s run the marketing effort over there? Talk about insulting the intelligence of this community…….

9. magic mike says:

hate hate hate lmao… the press release is the prof that the show is happening… they used last years filming to pitch the show and a bit of this years… believe whatever you want but come september tune in and see.. also get rdy for D1 in the UAE marina f1 circuit :)

10. wes says:

Wrecked Magazine you are the inflamed left nut of the drift community always trying to stir shit up. Team up with Blaze1 from Drifing.com and have a Extreme Fanboy D1 Haters Ball, complete with knee pads to blow actual drivers then blog about it.

The hate is a direct result of documentable empty promises year after year by whoever is buying the rights to d1gp for that year.

D1 2009 had the right idea, and came the closest to doing a decent job of giving the drivers what they said they would.

I’m not anti-D1, I’m just stating the facts since the naiveness is going strong here.

12. D1 Fanboys Suck says:

@Magic Mike

Uhhhhh so what was the press release they sent out last year? Proof that the show was coming on FOX…… oh wait, it didn’t happen. Idiots!

13. Borat says:

I think I figured it out. D1 thinks that they can be seen as a top tier series in the USA if they take a few desperate mediocre US drivers build there names by following them and promoting them on TV then having the J drivers kick there A$$ all over the place like they already have done in Japan. essentially repeating 2004. Genius plan…… nnnnnnnnnnOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. magic mike says:

wow… borat… very nice ! NOOOOOOOOOOOT ..

take it easy guys.. sorry i spoke ( laughing my ass off ) dont know why you hate me so much but keep on keepin on :)

15. matt petty says:

Mike i think everyone knows D1 has been very good to you.. They just have a flaky rep in the states. Plagued with drama, empty promises and lackluster show’s. As a judge for them last year or whenever, i got to see how they just lend the name out to people who don’t really know whats going on.

16. sam says:

i hope this goes thru i might have to pay for cable again!

17. Bobby says:

Who really cares about D1GP anyway.

18. Fireshake says:

@VQ Power 11

No one is trying to prove anything to you or anyone for that matter. Truth is not just “anyone with a camera” is shooting this. It’s a production company. They make shows. It seems you don’t understand what that is, and that’s ok. :)

Anyway come Sep. you’ll be wrong and for now keep just being negative and skeptical, that should get you far in life.

I think it’s great that there is a D1 event plan for 2010 and the show seems great too. Remember FD has played the TV deal game too and …. yeh right nada.

I for one am looking forward to it and even with the past being what it has been, I’m positive and excited about the news and prospects here. I’d like to see drifting as a sport grow and if this helps by getting it into home around the US then more power to em.

Great job Mike, glad you are getting to live the dream and compete in Japan against the best! Unlike some of the couch “drifters” here.

19. JacobPhoto says:

I swear, this is the EXACT same propaganda we have heard time and time again.

“forget the past! this time we’re for real!”

…..

….. and then at the end of the year, it’s all the same.

I’m really with Jacob here, and not becuase I’m anti D1, because I’m not, but its literally the same thing every year.

Why not just take a couple more months and plan out 2011 or provide us some solid info on 2010.

21. Imma Notstupid says:

I posted this in the other thread, but I just called Irwindale Speedway and they have no date on file for D1. Sheez.

22. Wrecked Magazine says:

“Remember FD has played the TV deal game too and …. yeh right nada. ”

I am going to have to interject right here Fireshake. Formula Drift started airing on television in 2005 and has never missed an event on television.

2005- G4TV
    2006- G4TV
    2007- ESPN2
    2008- SPEED
    2009- Versus
    2010- Versus

Don’t think your going to come on this website and trick people with your underhanded comments. We actually have educated readers here so you might want your trickery somewhere else.

Weather you like it or not the people who have run D1 in the past have killed that brand here in the United States. You guys have the burden of proof to show you can do something right this time around.

“This kinda junk chatter really is killing the sport and keep it up and there will be nothing worth looking forward to.”

What is really killing the sport is series sending out PR’s and not following through on their action. I understand you guys might be a whole new team in town but your going to have to prove yourself to this community by action, not hissy fits on our blog comments. Personally I have no doubt you guys will get this TV show on air…I spoke to my people I know at SPEED and it appears like things are coming together. Regardless, the same organization you are umbrella using “D1GP” came here last year with a “FOX Affiliate Deal” that never came to anything after claiming it was the largest drifting TV deal in American history. They didn’t even come within 30 million homes of ESPN’s coverage that Formula Drift had. Let’s review some of the things we faced last year in D1GP USA…..

Team Orange Fined $17,500

Forrest Wang Post Race D1GP USA Chicago Interview

D1GP USA Preparing to Speak Up About Round 3 Chicago

Team Orange throws a hissy fit and refuses to tandem:

Forrest Wang Interview of what happened to him in Chicago:

Team Orange Refuse to Tandem at D1GP Chicago and More!?

D1GP USA: Rob Fleming Replaces Adam Andretti on Judges Stand

D1GP USA Bans James Bondurant and Issues $10,000 Fine

2009 D1GP USA Schedule Changed

D1GP USA – Miami Venue Change

23. Dan Jenkins says:

^^^’Nuff said!!^^^

Wrecked’s post really hits the nail on the head. Keep in mind he says nothing deroggatory, just posting actual events.

I’d like to see D1 just to see the drivers, and the J/USA style in comparison, as would a LOT of American drifting fans.

However with D1′s actions over the years, anything announced is met with an extremely high amount of skepticism.

25. JacobPhoto says:

2003 – Slipstream Global (aka Jim and Ryan from FD) kick ass at producing the first ever pro drifting competition in the US, and D1 Japan thanks them by firing them. They go on to start FD which runs a full schedule in 2004 and takes off as a huge success. Thanks to D1GP for being so short-sided!
    2004 – Feb race is Japanese points race (before FD starts inaugural season), Dec race is exhibition @ JGTC race – boring track, decent crowd (due largely to the JGTC race not D1). nothing exciting.
    D1 2005 – March event was JDM points event, first All star event at Irwindale and JR kicks ass.
    2006 – March event was JDM points event, Vegas happens but hardly any US drivers (schedule conflict with FD Seattle), Irwindale exhibition happens with international drivers who feel they get raw end of the deal (Damien Mulvey, Phil Morrison, Paul Vlasblom).

At this point, D1 feels they are unstoppable, and tries to take over the US market by force and fires their entire US staff. Hideo briefly goes to NOPI but that doesn’t work out either. D1GB organizers are tired of D1GP’s crap and form EDC.

2007 – Full US series schedule announced. March Irwindale event is cancelled due to J drivers not having cars ready, June Altamont event is cancelled, only NJ, Vegas (very few US drivers attend), and “all star” race happened, they are all exhibitions. JR wins again. US staff fired again.

2008 – US series was proposed for a second season in November 2007, but cancelled in February 2008. All star race announced for November 1 week after Red bull, that event gets cancelled too. no race in USA. D1 should have stopped right here.

2009 – Driven Events takes over US promotions, full schedule announced, actually happened, “biggest drifting build in history” is a lie, TV deal never happened as promised, judge was replaced halfway thru season, 2 teams fined (drift avengers / team orange) due to conduct but $0 collected and both teams quit, Ross Petty and Pat Mordaunt are only FD top 16 drivers who compete. Driven Events seperates from D1GP Japan, claims that they are impossible to work with, and some of the same team starts XDC.

2010 – big things promised…. will we actually see it?

the last 3 years here in the US have been a huge bomb for D1GP. Everybody who has worked for D1GP in the US has been canned at some point. I hope this new group doesn’t think that they are special… they’re just the only idiots who still have faith in the brand name (or are oblivious to all the previous fallouts).

Jacob

06 vegas had alot of FD drivers

07 had good USA drivers that were not committed to FD (the year seatle and vegas was on the same weekend)

D1 2005/2006 at Irwindale was cool. I think if they had stuck with doing that it would have been cool, as it was the full-on D1 spectacle, and that was really cool, because you get to see your favorite FD guys and D1 guys mix it up.

However, when FD did RBWC, it blew everything out of the water. Still coolest drift event I’ve ever attended.

D1GPUSA. HAD. IT. ALL.

28. Fireshake says:

@Wrecked Magazine

Ok, sorry you are right your readers are very informed. Just got off the versus own website and looked on there “shows” schedule for Formula D and found nothing, maybe your informed reader can contact versus tv and let them know what shows are on their network for 2010.

Also just searched on my TiVo for Formula D and it came up with “no commingle shows” maybe your informed reader can contact Tivo, TV Guide, anyone in the TV world for that matter and just let them know what is on their schedule as far as Formula D show is concerned. It help us un-inform peeps at least find it for our DVRs so we can watch this amazing Formula D 2010 race series on TV.

Please give us the magic inside scoop here.

BTW in the past FD has only paid the deposit required by a track very shortly before the event and only then will a track list it as confirmed. Maybe you can call the track a require if the track is booked and not yet confirmed for D1 event.

Lastly I know that wrecked magazine and the drift alliance are virtually in bed with Formula D and some of their judges, and that FD founders are sending out “panic” emails to drivers and such,and it is in WM best interest to look good for FD, so I don’t expect “reporting” but opinion and favor are expected here.

Let’s see if in the next few weeks SPEED puts any thing on their site about this, I would say that if SPEED puts it on their site, it’ll be quite legit, maybe versus can learn that if FD is so super important to them that have something on their site would help us tune in.

29. Wrecked Magazine says:

That doesn’t mean it will air, it just means your on a schedule. I don’t know why your attacking me because my quote was

“Personally I have no doubt you guys will get this TV show on air…”

Glad you took the time to read my posts.

Here is the 2010 Formula Drift Television schedule since you are to inept to find it.

Formula Drift 2010 TV Schedule

Episode 11 10/24 4 PM EST / 1 PM PST Premiere
    Episode 11 10/26 5:30 PM EST / 2:30 PM PST Re-Air
    Episode 12 10/31 4 PM EST / 1 PM PST Premiere
    Episode 12 11/2 5:30 PM EST / 2:30 PM PST Re-Air
    Episode 13 11/7 4 PM EST / 1 PM PST Premiere
    Episode 13 11/9 5:30 PM EST / 2:30 PM PST Re-Air

I will be posting the D1 Grand Prix deck on Monday to really show how full of crap your organization is and untruthful. I don’t even think I will waste my time posting here until that is up. I love D1 Grand Prix in Japan, spent my own money to travel to the events. The past American series has been full of deception and lies to our readers, drivers, and sponsors. We just want truthful and transparent people in this sport.

D1GP USA presented by BP.

Fits so well.

31. Fireshake says:

waist of time posting here, haters and looks like even the editors here don’t like or want to see drifting as a sport grow but rather just be negative.

Joey, I understand your position with as it is with Formula D and it’s crazy to expect that a opinion blog would understand reporting.

I for one love both Formula D and D1 because it bring more money and attention to the sport of drifting. I like that there are people out there looking forward to seeing drifting becoming bigger and better. Sorry that that is not your goal here :(

Anyway I’ll post again and in Sep after the show has aired and then you can counter post again about posting facts and “being truthful and transparent” Really don’t understand why you are sooo negative and even when you first posted this original post you did not have the facts, I had to post to correct you and give you the times even though everyone who got the press release had them. Seems like your “bringing the facts and truth” is subjective.

Keep living in the past and never enjoy the possibilities that may be a positive spin on drifting the sport. At the end of the day, it’s your opinion and time will tell, question how long will people care about your opinions vs have a great time attending, participating and enjoying the sport of drifting. I’m sure this blog started with passion for the sport at some time, it’s just not there anymore, it’s about a lot of other things and alliances, and laying the foundations for yet another “has-been” drifting magazine/blog.

Talk in Sep. hope you allow my posts then to post instead of keeping them in “Your comment is awaiting moderation.” status as you have. FYI censorship is not quite so transparent and truthful.

32. YOitzJDM says:

Fireshake – what is your real name? And what is your position at D1WE ? Its pretty obvious you work for them so lay the truth out there.

33. Wrecked Magazine says:

I was never sent a press release from D1 Grand Prix USA so clearly you cannot value our website that much. A drivers manager sent me the release and he sent it to me and his e-mail did not include the times for whatever reason. Once you posted them they were promptly added to our website.

34. D1 Fanboys Suck says:

his name is alexis godchalk and he use to work at that shitty domestic car video website, streetfire.net

35. petite pounder says:

fireshake, do you know anything about prior experiences?

say you bought a team orange shift knob, and it crumbled to dust the first time. okay, maybe it was a quality issue. so you buy a second one because you know, you love team orange. but this time around the threads gets stripped out and somehow again, crumbles to dust. now, if you are of average intelligence…do you spend more money and get ANOTHER team orange shift knob? or do you wise up and go “hm…maybe they dont have their shit together.” or do u spend more money on another knob because u ride their nuts?

and if you are going to make such bold statements like “that FD founders are sending out “panic” emails to drivers,” it would help to give some sort of proof to such claims. validity is the name of the game and so far you have failed to show any of it.

Its fair to say that everyone wants to see drifting grow, but D1GP has failed to show that they care. their past behavior as PROVEN that.

If D1 actually has events go off, that will end a lot of the speculation. Y’all posting on here about “what your going to do” is taken with a grain of salt. Keep in mind all of last year you were telling all of us “Yall’d be back for 2010 and have a schedule/stuff by SEMA”

You’re just about a week late, give or take 9 months. Don’t expect us to just throw our support your way when you already have let us down.

37. [...] D1GP – “Speed/Fox Sports Net” The SPEED schedule for D1GP changes days and times through the broadcast. Some episodes are broadcast on Saturday and then some are moved to Sunday. The times range from 2:00pm to 6:30pm across those day changes. Link to D1GP Speed TV Post [...]